If you’re looking for facts about pigs, information on the various breeds of pigs, tips on breeding pigs or where to buy them then you’re in the right place. Pig Brother is the number 1 resource for pig information on the planet today and combines an easy to use website with lots of highly relevant information. As well as general information we also give advice on keeping pigs, pig farming, pig feed suppliers and news on the general state of UK Agriculture.
What you will find on this site:
Information on Breeds of Pig
Where to Buy Pigs
Cute Pig Pictures
Pigs for Sale
Interesting Pig Facts
Pigs are a fascinating breed of animal and often severely misunderstood; here are some of the most interesting facts about Pigs that you probably haven’t heard before:
- Pigs snuggle close to one another and much prefer to sleep nose to nose. In their natural surroundings, pigs spend hours playing, sunbathing, and exploring. Small holders and farmers often report that pigs, like humans, enjoy listening to music, playing with soccer balls, and getting massages.
- Pigs are clean animals. If given sufficient space, they will be careful not to soil the area where they sleep or eat.
- Pigs don’t “sweat like pigs”; they are actually unable to sweat. They like to bathe in water or mud to keep cool, and they actually prefer water to mud.
- Pigs have a well developed sense of smell. They can find things underground and have been used to find truffles and even to sniff out drugs whilst working for the Police force.
- A mature pig has 44 teeth. The canine teeth, called tusks, grow continuously and are sharpened by the lowers and uppers rubbing against each other.
- Pigs appear to have a good sense of direction and have found their way home over great distances. Adult pigs can run at speeds of up to 11 miles per hour.
- Newborn piglets learn to run to their mothers’ voices and to recognize their own names. Mother pigs sing to their young while nursing.
- China has the world’s largest population of domestic pigs
- The largest pig on record was a Poland-China hog named Big Bill, who weighed 2,552 lbs (1157.4 kg) owned by Burford Butler of Jackson, Tennessee, USA in the year 1933.
- A female pig is called a sow, while the male is called boar. The baby of a pig is called piglet.
- A full grown pig can drink up to 14 gallons of water a day.
Check out our regularly updated blog for more interesting pig facts and additional information.
What to do Next?
Please share our site using the buttons below:
Then browse the rest of PigBrother.co.uk and if you have any questions or feedback please contact us.